May 27, 2018

Underground Cup IV

Underground Cup IV

This was one of the two tournaments I'm co-organizing with Spielmacher and you can find the rules for the tournament on our webpage.

As I won't be able to play in many tournaments this year (due to life), I decided to play as a normal participant. This meant that all my organizing would be prior to the actual tournament.

I had a real struggle on deciding a roster for the tournament, going from dwarves to undead, but as it turns out, fate would have it otherwise. As I was still an organizer, we had said that I'd switch to halflings, if we had someone turn in a stunty roster, in order to have a best stunty award. A halfling roster was sent (and later also an ogre and a goblin roster) in and I played the following;

Roster

2 Treemen (2xBlock)
10 Halflings (4xSide Step)
Puggy
Deeproot
Master Chef
Assistant Coach
Cheerleader

This is more or less my standard halfling roster, although the current meat seems to swing towards Karla and Zara, but I don't have them painted. I was also thinking about going with the Karla and Willow roster, but again, not painted.

Regarding skills, block trees are awesome and I feel that four side steppers is the perfect amount to have. Everything else would just be icing on the cake (in my case, I like to take two diving tacklers and a sure feeter).

Game 1 vs Halflings (Cubefarmer)

What a draw, I was up against a fellow halfling player. Deeproot took money from both team and "ran" for it, but his roster didn't include Puggy, which mine did. He had a reroll instead, which I stole.
I started with the ball and scored at the end of my drive. I then prevented his OTTM attempt with my set up.
In the second half, one of his tree rooted early and I could pressure him (both with position and Puggy blitzes, taking out his halflings) which resulted in an early throw. The halfling scattered backwards, towards my defense and landed in two tacklezones. The flung fling didn't make it and the ball landed in the outstretched arms of one of my flings. I scored in turn 16, sealing the deal.

It was a fun game, but the second half was very one sided.

TD 2-0
CAS 3-2

Game 2 vs Norse (Kohli)

A norse roster without and apo and just 12 players. He'd gone for a sure hands thrower, kick lineman and block on the Yeti. Not the skills I would have gone for, but I'm not a norse player.

I got to kick the ball and was hoping for some damage in order to control the second half. The game started with a blitz and a fling off the field, but my trees responded with two CAS and that got the ball rolling. I could get the ball safe and scored late in my drive. After the second half, my opponent had seven players left on the field, to my ten.

Things just continued the way they started and I pitch cleared my opponent and scored in turn 16.

TD 2-0
CAS 6-4

Game 3 vs Humans (Madfrog)

This was my second game on table 1, but I knew that it wouldn't last. Humans can be quite difficult for flings and this proved to be the case. He pressured me and I lost Puggy to a failed dodge midway through the first half. This prevented me from scoring, but I could stop him from scoring as well.



In the second half, I stole zero rerolls, which made this an uphill battle. I pressured him and had two 1d blitzes on the ball, but both were pushes. I pushed his ball carrier into my endzone in turn 14, leaving me two turns to score a OTTM. Sadly, the kick landed on the sideline, in the endzone. Worst case scenario and I failed a GFI after picking the ball up, which meant that I couldn't get to the ball at all. The human player later went on to winning the whole tournament, so not too sad about losing. Was a fun and close game.

TD 0-1
CAS 2-*don't remember*

Game 4 vs Dwarves (Steinhammer)

Game 4 and best stunty was still up for grabs. I was also in the running for Best Defense, Most CAS and Most TD! I didn't like my chances though, being up against dwarves.

Before Deeproot was killed
I got to receive the ball and thought the game to be lost when he in turn 2 blitz Deeproot with his mighty blow troll slayer. A 5 on the dauntless, knock down and then an 11 on the armour. Shit....a 9 for the injury, plus that mighty blow. No Deeproot! The situation was dire and I didn't manage to score (but neither did he). 

Star of the second half

He played very conservative in the second half, but went down one sideline and after Puggy blocked a blocker away, I could blitz a tree in next to his runner. He dodged out and passed over the tree, which of course made the interception. I had enough turns to score with a treeman, but failed my dodges to screen the tree off. This meant that he could again blitz with a troll slayer, getting the tree down. Sad as it was, that we weren't going to see a treeman TD, I managed to get the ball back and run a fling out of reach from his team. I could score the winning TD in turn 16.

TD 1-0
CAS 4-4

Conclusion

I had so much fun this tournament and very happy, that fate decided to have me take flings. In the end, I won Best Stunty and Best Defense, being the only player to just allow one TD. 


I managed to inflict 15 CAS, which was one less than the Most CAS-winner on 16.

Here are the final standing, which saw me in fourth place. I was ecstatic with my performance and 3-0-1 with flings is a great result.


Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment