Oct 25, 2020

KKnD V

 Rules

The tournament was played using the EuroBowl 2021-rules with the addition of a modified kick off table, which used elements from BB2020.

Roster

I decided to play slann as I might not have the possibility to do so once BB2020 hits. I had a look at what I wrote after the last tournament with slann and adjusted my roster accordingly. The main points being losing the apo and not bringing a blitzer.

1 Froxigor (Block)

4 Catchers (3xDodge)

8 Linemen (2xBlock, Wrestle, Strip Ball)

3 Re-rolls

1 Coach

Game 1 vs Dark Elves

I got to decide if I would like to kick the ball and decided to do so, the decision made easier to the rain. The dark elves were cautious and let the runner stand in their own half with the ball for a couple of turns and the frogs used this to remove some elves from the field. As the runner then moved forward and passed the ball to one of the witch elves, thereby forgetting the rain, a re-roll was used and the dark elves retreated again. They were then forced to go down a sideline and the froxigor could blitz in and base the ball carrier next to the side line. The dark elves blitzed through the frog screen and the witch elf would have to dodge away from the froxigor and hand off the ball to a lineman in scoring range, but the witch elf failed her dodge due to prehensile tail and the ball went out and was thrown deep in to the half of the dark elves. The frogs then picked up the ball and scored in turn 8.

Most of the KOed elves didn't want to get back on the field and things were looking up for the frogs. However, I made an error in my set up and left a weak point for a blitz. The kick off was a blitz and the dark elves managed to stun the strip ball lineman and move in to catch the ball. The frogs surrounded the lone blitzer but couldn't bring him down with six block dice. The dark elves were forced to score after that and the frogs lined up to receive the ball again.

The frogs can't bring the dark elf blitzer down


The second drive ended in a frog touchdown with time left on the clock for the dark elves.

As the dark elves moved forward to get players in scoring range, the frogs marked them and blitzed the "middle" dark elf, which would force a long pass. The runner moved up for the pass and rolled a 1. The last re-roll was used and it was another 1. The frogs could put tackle zones on the ball and the dark elves had one last chance to get the pass off, but once again a dodge away from the froxigor failed and the game was over.

End 2-1 (2-3)

Game 2 vs Ogres

Second game and I was up against some ogres with Brick and Grotty. The ogres started with the ball and the lineman with strip ball leap in and got the ball on the ground. The ogres (or rather Grotty) managed to dodge through the frogs and pick up the ball. Grotty was then thrown towards the endzone, but the frogs reached him and got the ball back. The frogs then stalled out the rest of the half and managed to remove one ogre in the process.

The second half saw the frogs in trouble, when some snotlings managed to blitz the ball carrier, but the frogs could get the ball back and scored with three turns left for the ogres.

The ogres couldn't get their offence going and the frogs stole the ball and ended the game with a third touchdown.

End 3-0 (4-2)

Game 3 vs Old World Alliance

I've never played against OWA and I was forced to receive the ball. I lost some players and was quite early down in numbers, which forced me to take some risks. I went to the right, to the left and back to the right. I needed a leap to work, to seal the edge, but failed it even with a re-roll. This left the door open for a blitz on the ball carrier and the OWA managed to steal the ball and scored in turn 8.

Not ideal

As I was down on both players and on the scoreboard, I had to up the pressure and I tried to leap in to the cage and get the ball on the ground. It worked once and the ball was pick up by a catcher. Things looked good, but the froxigor decided to be stupid in the wrong moment which opened the door for a blitz on the ball carrier (I activated the froxigor for a 2d block to avoid a leap with a lineman). 

OWA get the ball on the ground in the second half

The ball was picked up by the OWA team and they scored their second touchdown in turn 16.

End 0-2 (1-5)

Game 4 vs Chaos Renegades

An exciting game against a fouling chaos renegades, which started with the ball. No time was waisted and players were being removed from the get go. The frogs responded by removing the troll, mino and leader lineman in the first half. The was also a notable situation where the froxigor intercepted a bomb from Bomber Dribbelsnot, which was thrown towards the renegades, but scattered on to Dribbelsnot. He couldn't catch it and left the game due to his own bomb.

The frogs still couldn't stop the renegades who scored in turn 8.

The all in blitz from the renegades


The second half started with a deep kick and a blitz. The renegades went all in on one side and the ball went out in the endzone. The catcher on the opposite side got the ball and moved up the pitch on the other side. There was no possibility to stall out the game for a draw due to the low numbers of frogs on the field, which made things exciting. This game could go either way, but the renegades had the advantage due to number, a blodging dark elf and the lack of strip ball on the side of the frogs (CASed).

I gave it my all, but I couldn't stop the renegades and the tournament ended with a loss.

End 1-2 (3-4)

Conclusion

I'm not too happy with my record for the tournament (2-0-2), but considering the coaches I played against and the fact that the last game could (and should) have been a draw it looks worse than it is. I also had the highest opponent score which also says something.

Final standings

I'm happy with the roster and didn't feel that I missed the apo as I either had enough players or had so few, that an apo wouldn't have made a difference. Having 13 players also enabled me to foul and not really worry too much about sustained CAS. I didn't miss the blitzer either as the linemen are as good, in my opinion, for what they do.

Thank you for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Great write up as ever, and it's nice to see some real life games taking place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I played the high elves team on this tournament, I have similar feelings concerning the result of ending 2-0-2 ... I played not vs Sprinter, but in case still vs Stimme 1:2, Ignaz 1:2 and peterd 3:0 (and of course major grooves 3:1), therefore I fell behind Pedda because of OPP-Score ...

    The roster Pedda played looks good at all in my eyes too, because the Guard skill seems to be lesser important using the Euroball rules and the kroxigor with Block skill, I guess, did his job well too. The lineman with Strip Ball skill may look a bit strange, but as I played some time before against Pedda's slann team, I can confirm that nonetheless skilling the lineman this way makes an serious treat to the enemy ball carrier on the pitch.

    So in the end, yeah, I can agree to what Pedda still concluded to the tournament. Stimme, Sprinter, peterd (and in my case Ignaz) are hardly skilled opponents that can't be beaten that easily at all!

    Regards ChAoSmaTac

    ReplyDelete