Feb 9, 2015

Blood BaTTH 2015

First tournament of the year and I was excited (you can find my roster here). As the venue started to fill and people started to pack out their teams, my spirit sank a bit. Out of the twelve teams there were two chaos dwarf and a normal dwarf team. I was hoping that I wouldn’t face any of them, but it wasn’t to be…

Game 1 vs Chaos Dwarves 0-1 (1-2)

Nice weather
Fame +1

1st half (No Rerolls)

He elected to receive and I set up my trees on the LOS. He started to go down one of my flanks, which is exactly what I want. Sadly though, he got one the tree on that side down on the ground and the tree on the other side rooted. Deeproot alone couldn’t stop the chaos dwarves from breaking through as the downed tree stood up three turns later.

All I could do was foul a chaos dwarf with guard in turn 7, which resulted in an injury.

The chaos dwarfs then scored in their turn 8 and my TTM attempt in my turn 8 failed.

2nd half (No Rerolls)

My turn 9 started with a tree rooting, so I decided to go down the other side. I got bogged down and started to make my way back to the rooted tree. 

Back by the rooted tree
The plan was then to keep the dwarves occupied with the other two trees and running down the other side. This however didn’t work and in a last attempt for the TD in turn 7, I rushed the ball carrier forward and put him next to the chaos dwarf in the back and blitzed with another ’fling. The plan was to get the chaos dwarf tied up, leaving him with either a dodge followed by a blitz or a blitz with a hobgoblin, which would be okay odds, since the ’fling had side step. I didn’t work, since I got a skull on the blitz.

After that it was all over and the chaos dwarves had won.

It was however a close and fun game and I’m kind of happy with the result.
This guy (Junior) ended up wining the tournament, which makes me even happier with the result.

Having weathered the storm, I was looking forward to playing something else than dwarves.

It wasn’t to be…

Game 2 vs Chaos Dwarves 1-1 (3-4)

Nice weather
Fame +1

1st half (1 Reroll)

He elects to receive and move forward, but I manage to blitz his ball carrier (Puggy dodges by his bull centaur and hit the hobgoblins for a 1d blitz). After a bit of a scrum, he recovers the ball and scores in turn 8.

In my turn 8, the TTM attempt fails due to the ’fling scattering one square back, out of reach of the endzone, but at leasts he lands.

2nd half (1 Reroll)

Not much to say about this half. I get a lot of his players of the field and can score in turn 16.

A lot of chaos dwarves watching the game from the side line
On the last turn of the game, we get a pitch invasion, where my whole front line is stunned, but it doesn’t matter. The game ends 1-1. 

The only pitch invasion that didn't go my way. I guess the Picknick Packer fans was having, well, a picknick

Game 3 vs Amazon 0-1 (3-2)

Blizzard
Fame +1

1st half (1 Reroll)

Not much to tell. I tried to run through my opponent and then down a side and couldn’t break through. I got some amazons of the pitch and that was it..

2nd half (No rerolls)

The second half started with a pitch invasion in witch half his team hits the ground, but none of mine.

A pitch invasion and the ball next to the LOS. I should have played it cool

This was however my downfall, since I saw an opportunity to win this game, which made me too eager. I moved forward too much and my opponent could move around my players and form a safe cage. He scored in turn 16

I then failed my TTM attempt and thus the game ended 0-1.

Game 4 vs Goblins 1-0 (5-3)

Nice weather
Fame +2

1st half (1 Reroll)

My opponent wanted to receive the ball and after picking it up he decided to pass it to a waiting goblin in turn 2. The pass failed and I could pick it up and move forward.

The Picknick Packers scope the ball up after the failed pass

My opponent constantly put my under pressure and played good defense and I didn’t manage to score. He got Deeproot down on a one die block with a troll (without block) which forced me to dodge through with the ball carrier, but I failed and lost the ball. Otherwise Deeproot would probably have move the troll out of the way (35/36) so that the ball carrier could have run forward towards the endzone. I was however not that sad, because I would receive the ball and I had the player advantage.

2nd half (1 Reroll)

I walked up the field scoring CAS and a TD in turn 7, because I wanted to be sure of at least a draw. He also just had one troll left, so a TTM wouldn’t be so easy, even with two turns.
He failed the attempt and I won 1-0.

Game 5 vs Goblins 2-0 (4-1)

Nice weather
Fame +1

1st half (1 Reroll)

Pitch invasion!

No one of my players go down to half his team which means that I can advance up the field removing his players as I go along. The only threat was the bomber (after having injured the ball and chain), who had done nothing so far, but in his turn 6, he throws a HMP-Bomb that lands on top of my ball carrier, killing him outright!

I scope the ball up with another ’fling and run it in in turn 8.
Thus forcing him to use a bribe on the bomber.

In his turn 8, he manages to throw a bomb, that injurys a ’fling and KOs Puggy. A hard blow.

After that the chainsaw cuts Deeproot down and KOs him. He doesn’t manage the TTM, although he came close.

2nd half (2 Rerolls)

Sadly, Deeproot stays KOed, but at least Puggy came back, giving me a numbers advantage for the second half.

Deeproot taking a nap, leaving Aaron Dodgers with LOS duty
My opponent tries to cut down another tree, but fails. The tree in return smashed the goblin, stunning him and he is finally removed after being kicked in the head by Clay Muttons.

At the end of the half my opponent has three of four players left, two of them being stupid trolls.

I can score in turn 16, securing the stunty cup!

Game 6 vs Slann 2-1 (2-1)

The final game of the tournament and I’m up against DocMAXX, who’s a very competent Slann player. I didn’t expect to win this at all, but I was currently leading the race for most CAS, so I thought I’d go for that.

1st half (2 Rerolls)

He kicks to me and I start by injuring one frog and KOing two, I think. This game is a bit of a blur where the frogs leave the pitch in droves. I was really lucky while DocMAXX wasn’t. I think he had five players left on the field at the end of the first half in which I score.

2nd half (2 Rerolls)

His KOs doesn’t want to come back, so he starts the half with seven players (I think).

He sends a couple of frogs down the field and I ignore the catcher with the ball in his backfield and go for the receivers instead. Getting them out to blitzes and fouls. Another goes down to a diving tackle. He scores in turn 12.with just four players on the pitch. I can’t stop him, but I could have made it more difficult than I did. I made a misstake on a blitz, choosing both down instead of a push, hoping for an armour break on a linefrog, but it wasn’t to be. That of course ended my turn and I didn’t foul his catcher. I should have gone for the push and fouled the catcher, maybe leaving him with a harder leap and catch for the long bomb from the catcher in his backfield.

He however had to use his last reroll and as I received the ball, the frogs stayed in the KO-box and I could score in turn 16.

This went so much better than I could hope for and it was because of the dice.
DocMAXX was good sport about it and I tip my hat to him.


As it turned out, I had one best stunty, best painted, most CAS and third place, which is way better than I’d hoped for. I’d like to thank all the Gesundbrunnen Picknick Packer fans that should up and beat my opponents to the ground during the pitch invasions.

The Gesundbrunnen Picknick Packers with the prices

I’ve already got my next tournament coming up this weekend (PreußenBowl), but I’ll be playing dark elves. It’s the same roster as I’m using in the RTTNAFC.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Go go go!
    Congrats on your excellent result with halflings, you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very happy over the result and to be honest, a bit surprised as well.

    Thanks for the positive feedback

    ReplyDelete