Oct 29, 2019

World Cup IV - Day 3

Extra skills were added for this day and the roster has been updated below.

Roster

3 Catchers (3xDodge)
Kroxigor (Block)
8 Linemen (3xBlock, Strip Ball+Wrestle, 2xWrestle)
3 Re-rolls
4 Fan factor
Apothecary

Game 7 vs Dark Elves

A loaded dark elf team with all the positionals including an assassin, which on day three was quite scary. All the blitzers had dodge and the witches had either wrestle or block.

The elves started with the ball and moved from side to side. It was an interesting positional game and I made an error when I didn't reroll the 1 for the kroxigor blitz in one turn. I had three dice on the wrestle witch and kind of needed the kroxigor in front of the cage, but as always this was something I realized afterwards. I managed to force my opponent to roll dice for his score in turn 8, but nothing too hard or impossible. Solid play from my opponent.

One sided dark elf offense
The second half saw the frogs with the ball and I yet again made an error, putting a linefrog one field to the side, opening up my cage for a 4+ dodge, which my opponent took. I recovered the ball and passed to a catcher, interception! No, that was not the plan and all that could save me now was snake eyes from my opponent. My opponent declared the dodge and rolled the dice and lifted his dice cup. Snake eyes! That saved me and I could score in turn 16.

My opponent set up for the one turner, but a double pow stopped his attempt and the game ended in a tie. Great game in which I was a bit lucky.

End 1-1 (0-2)

Game 8 vs Amazons

Amazons, another team I rarely face. This team had brought Roxy and eleven regular players. A bit thin on the ground for my taste, but each to his own. My goal was to remove Roxy as soon as possible.

I got the ball to start off the half and a blitz was rolled for the kick off, which meant that I was under pressure from turn 1. My dice went hot and a couple of ladies left the pitch, which made things easier and I even fouled Roxy once, but couldn't do more than stun her. I could move the ball in to his half in turn three and he regrouped, setting up a screen, which included Roxy, in front of my kroxigor. I declared a blitz on Roxy in turn 4, got the pow I needed and she was off the pitch, for good. My catcher with the ball could then move out of reach from the rest of his team and I could score in turn 8.

Second half continued as the first half, with hot dice for me and I could steal the ball for 2-0. In his second offense, a perfect defense was rolled and the ball was caught by a linewoman next to my kroxigor. A bit of a pickel for my opponent, but he managed to get out of the situation and I went for another steal, which failed. My opponent could then score in his following turn, but that left me enough time to score the wining 3-1 touchdown.

End 3-1 (4-0)

Game 9 vs Chaos

Game 9 and it was my first duplicated race as opponent, but this chaos team had brought a mino, The team had won best painted in it's category and it was a joy to play against it to finish off the tournament.

I had played against a chaos team with mino at the Berlin Open before and I found it quite easy to handle the scary mino, ignore it and try to force the game to be played on the other half, away from the mino. This forces the opponent to use his blitz for positioning and that leaves the mino even further behind.

Best Painted in the chaos category

This is exactly what happened in this game as I forced my opponent down the side on which the mino wasn't. I played very well here and force my opponent to a halt. The half ended without a score.

My plan for the second half was to score quickly in order to secure the draw. I moved through and set up a sideline cage. I positioned a lineman to cover one of the corners, to save him from being surfed by the frenzy goat, but in hindsight, I should have put this linefrog in the gap between my corners. As it were, my opponent went in for the 6+ dodge and made it, pushing my catcher off the field and the ball bounced all the way back to my half. A goat managed to pick the ball up and I rushed back to blitz it. Two dice, skull and push. I now had to hope for a failed 3+ dodge, but my opponent scored. I however still had time left to score for the draw.

I made the same play, a sideline cage, but I learned from my misstake and put a player in the gap between the cage corners. My opponent couldn't stop me from scoring and the game ended in a draw.

End 1-1 (1-2)

Conclusion

What a tournament! I had a good time and played against great opponents!
The organizers had some problems on day 1, reducing the number of games to two, but they managed to squeeze in four games on day 2. I tip my hat to the organizers, who did this in their spare time, providing a nine game tournament to 1400+ coaches. Wow!

I'm very happy with my choice of team and I had fun in all my nine games. I didn't feel that I was out of any game, even if the odds were against me. My roster was good and I'm going to use it again at a tournament in Hannover in March, but with some minor tweaks. I'll try to get kick and frenzy on the roster, which the best slann player had on his roster.

I'll use something very different at my next tournament, K K N D - K R U S H - K I L L - N - D E S T R O Y - I I I - 2 0 1 9 - CHRISTMAS EDITION. It's time to get that painted deathroller on the blood bowl pitch. Wish me luck as I get out of my comfort zone.

Deathroller!!!
Thank you for reading!

3 comments:

  1. This blog has been too quiet for too long! I miss your quality BB content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross,
      thank you for your comment. The blog kind of got lost a bit during the first part of the year and then Corona hit. After that it kind of faded away and I didn't think that anyone read it.
      I've played in three tournaments this year and you've inspired me to do a write up for them as well as my plan going forward

      Delete
    2. I hear you there man. Blogging feels like a bit of a grind sometimes, especially with everything else going on. Glad you're still playing though, and I'm looking forward to reading the write ups now!

      Delete